Intro about the Role
Territory is hiring a Head of Engineering to scale our software development team. Reporting to the CEO, you will lead software engineering throughout the organization.
As the Head of Engineering, you will lead a team of talented software developers to design, build and maintain both our customer-facing product & internal tools that together enable us to hit strategic milestones and long-term objectives. This role requires someone who has a strong software engineering background, proven leadership experience, is extremely organized, data-driven, an outstanding communicator, results-oriented, and thrives on solving hard problems. More importantly, we want you grow our team of talented software engineers, and inspire them to drive towards a shared vision.
Territory Foods is a personalized nutrition platform that delivers locally-sourced, professionally-crafted, unquestionably delicious meals. Unlike other food companies, we want you to know exactly what goes into each of our ready-to-eat meals, and it’s not just written on our labels—you can see the fresh, local ingredients right through our lids. Our nutritionally powerful menus are created without gluten, refined sugar, dairy, guesswork and guilt by a network of talented, local chefs who work in concert with you to support your specific eating intentions, from Whole30 to low-carb, keto, and more.
And that’s not even the best part, at least for us.
The best part is that we’ve seen the transformative effects that personalized nutrition and sustainable well-being can have on the way we live, move, and contribute to the world—and on how we produce and respect food in general. And we get to be an active part of it.
Our community-based, micro-production model maintains a healthy respect for neighborhood partners, local chefs, big flavors and small carbon footprints. Territory Foods currently serves more than 500 locations (and thousands of doorsteps) in Southern California, Baltimore/Washington D.C, Dallas/Fort Worth and the San Francisco Bay Area with several more locations coming soon.
- You will play a key role in the strategic application of software development across the organization, and all the human factors at play in that undertaking.
- Facilitate prioritization, coordination and collaboration across the organization
- Allocate resources based on strategic priorities
- Transparently manage work to hit milestones
- Be aware of the mental, physical & emotional health of your team and proactively take care of them
- Manage a distributed team, instilling camaraderie and cohesiveness
Your Mindset & Experience
At the root of it, you’re a smart, thoughtful strategic leader looking for levers of success for the business. You have a high degree of emotional awareness, and take real pleasure in the potential of clear communication to facilitate kick ass teamwork. You want to be part of a high-growth enterprise that’s trying to make a significant difference in the world where you can play a key role.
Education and Experience:
- As part of a high-growth company you’ve scaled an engineering team from a small team to multiple coordinated teams
- Experience building data-science driven consumer software products
- Experience leading teams developing both web and mobile applications
- Experience with Ruby on Rails and React
- 5+ years-experience managing in-house development teams
- 10+ years-experience as a software engineer
- BS or MS degree in computer science, engineering or similar related, preferred
Knowledge and Skills:
- Opinionated about the pros & cons of an agile methodology and how to scale agile inside a rapidly growing team
- Background in scaling software applications
- Experienced in deploying and managing DevOps and infrastructure tools for deployment, monitoring and continuous integration
- Demonstrated ability to technically lead projects, code reviews, etc.
- Strong people management skills and understanding of different leadership styles
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Experience mentoring mid-level and junior developers
This is a full time role, ideally role based near our headquarters just outside of Washington, DC. However, we’re optimized for remote work, and for the right candidate, remote is possible. In the latter situation, we’d want to arrange for a period of in-person onboarding as well as schedule regular in-person working sessions.
- We're a mission-driven bunch - motivated to both make great eating crazy simple, delicious and life-changing, as well as the whole stew of related goodness: food, fitness, people, passion, relationships, change, health, daring, and mirth.
- We try to reflect that mission in how we work:
- We have active fun consistent with the work that we do including occasional "recess" activities: stand up paddleboarding, waterfall climbing, sand volleyball, bike rides, sailing and tree-top ropes courses.
- Our main office is a converted house in Alexandria's Del Ray neighborhood; at the same time we're a distributed remote team by nature with team members all over the world. We live on Slack.
- We're all about creating a culture of individuals that hold themselves to a very high standard and and get great satisfaction from doing excellent work.
- We offer competitive compensation & benefits including health, dental & vision insurance and 401k. Benefits also include food and fitness reimbursement.
- We believe at our core that the most important thing for anyone is to do challenging work that you're naturally drawn to with a team you dig in order to make a meaningful difference in the world.
To throw your hat into the ring, please email jobs at territoryfoods.com with your resume + a description of a project for which you were responsible that you're particularly proud of.