Intro about the Role
Territory is hiring a People Specialist to define people strategy, own our organizational vision and drive our culture. Reporting directly to the VP of Finance, you will be the people operations leader throughout the organization.
As the People Specialist, your primary role will be as the guardian of Territory Food’s most important asset: our culture. For us, our culture of wellness goes beyond our product or the benefits we offer employees - passion for personal, organizational and community wellness is the intrinsic motivation that drives our organization everyday.
We are looking for a results oriented, strong communicator who will bring their passion for people to the role. This role requires someone who not only has a strong background in human resources and proven leadership experience, but who thrives on solving hard problems and inspires the people around them.
We’re a platform for the next generation of wellness, focused on the hardest problem -- personalized nutrition. We sell fresh food for Food Tribes (representing 39% of the U.S. population, including whole30, gluten-free, paleo, ketogenic, vegan, and vegetarian).
We're direct-to-consumer ecommerce with differentiated distribution, partnering with leading Fitness Tribes as local pickup spots (including yoga, cycling and CrossFit studios as well as boutique and high-end health clubs).
We lead with purpose and intention, just like our customers. We’re operating in four markets (DC, DFW, SoCal and the Bay Area). In each, we work with amazing chefs using responsibly-sourced ingredients to create healthy meals that our customers rely on to undergird their health & wellness goals.
At Territory, we believe that our people and culture are our biggest assets. Because of our passion for wellness, community development and entrepreneurship, we want to have the best team members who not only believe in this mission, but live it too. Our remote operating model allows us to have a strong team of cutting-edge thinkers around the USA who provide diverse and innovative ideas.
Drive People Operations Excellence:
- Provide onsite and offsite HR leadership, serving as main point of contact for talent management, recruitment, learning, and employee relations issues
- Lead key people initiatives and tasks including: recruiting, on-boarding, off-boarding, staffing management, performance management, change management, organization planning, compensation planning, and employee development
- Proactively consult with the national and city business leaders on employee, managerial, organizational and business issues and work with various team members to provide effective, beneficial solutions to business issues
Culture and Organization Effectiveness:
- Understand the business strategy and identify opportunities to improve organizational capability and, when necessary, drive change management to align our organization with our business strategy.
- Diagnose gaps between current and desired organization performance and deploy actions, including organization redesign, process change, coaching and training.
- Develop talent acquisition and transition plans to anticipate the short and long term business needs
- Provide coaching and consulting to business leaders on effective performance management intervention.
- Participate in the ideation and organization of onsite employee events related to strategic initiatives (diversity, career pathing, pipeline programs, etc.)
Your Mindset & Experience
At the root of it, you’re a smart, thoughtful strategic leader looking for levers of success for the business. You want to be part of a high-growth enterprise that’s trying to make a significant difference in the world where you can play a key role. You bring passion to your work, and want to create a positive, engaging and rewarding environment for your team and organization.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 3-5 years of experience in a human resources, consulting, operations, project management, and/or related role
- Work experience or education in US employment law and/or human resource practices
- Experience consulting with and influencing senior executives
- Passion for management and organizational theories, techniques and thought leadership
- Demonstrated experience in diversity, equality and inclusion operations and strategy
- Passion to bring innovative ideas on next frontier organizational practices
- Ability to use data to drive recommendations.
- Ability to work with a high level of integrity and an excellent sense of judgment, remaining trustworthy and non-political.
- Project management experience with a focus on drive and execution.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
This is a full time role based near our headquarters just outside of Washington, DC. We drive work-life balance excellence by offering flexible/remote working options.
We're a mission-driven bunch - motivated to both make great eating crazy simple, delicious and life-changing, as well as the whole stew of related goodness: food, fitness, people, passion, relationships, change, health, daring, and mirth.
We try to reflect that mission in how we work:
We have active fun consistent with the work that we do including occasional "recess" activities: stand up paddleboarding, waterfall climbing, sand volleyball, bike rides, sailing and tree-top ropes courses.
Our main office is a converted house in Alexandria's Del Ray neighborhood; at the same time we're a distributed remote team by nature with team members all over the world. We live on Slack.
We're all about creating a culture of individuals that hold themselves to a very high standard and and get great satisfaction from doing excellent work.
We offer competitive compensation & benefits including health, dental & vision insurance and 401k. Benefits also include food and fitness reimbursement.
We believe at our core that the most important thing for anyone is to do challenging work that you're naturally drawn to with a team you dig in order to make a meaningful difference in the world.
To throw your hat into the ring, please email jobs at territoryfoods.com with your resume + a description of a project for which you were responsible that you're particularly proud of.